Hollywood studios released 797 feature films in 1920. None of them talked. Movies had arrived in Brooklyn but were not yet the major attraction. Vaudeville was still going strong and legitimate theater was booming. Some of the major attractions were advertised in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle of Feb. 10, 1920:
The Majestic (now the BAM Harvey Theater), 651 Fulton Street, had Ernest Truex in No More Blondes.
Next door at the Mark Strand, the Strand Orchestra furnished a score for Mary Pickford’s silent Pollyanna. The Strand at that time advertised itself as “A National Institution.” It now houses BRIC Arts | Media | Bklyn.
At the Duffield in Downtown Brooklyn, Clara K. Young starred in Eyes of Youth.
At the Beverly on Church Avenue in Gravesend was Harry Carey in A Gun-Fightin’ Gentleman. By presenting the Eagle ad at the box office, 5 cents would be deducted from admission.
Loew’s Brevoort, Bedford Avenue and Brevoort Place, had Shirley Mason in Her Elephant Man with music by the Brevoort Orchestra and theatre organ.
The Bunny at 314 Flatbush Ave. was showing Elaine Hammerstein in The Country Cousin.
The beautiful Carlton, Flatbush at 7th Ave., had A Daughter of Two Worlds, starring Norma Talmadge.
This article was written by Vernon Parker (1923-2004)