By Charisma L. Miller, Esq.
Brooklyn Daily Eagle
Despite legal challenges and a brief postponement, the CBS reality show “Brooklyn DA” is set to air Tuesday night at 10 p.m.
Earlier this month, candidate for the Brooklyn District Attorney Abe George filed a lawsuit attempting to prevent the airing of the reality show that examines current Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes as he prepares for a contested re-election race and the work of the DA’s Office in prosecuting some high profile cases.
George asserted in his complaint, filed in Manhattan’s Supreme Court, that the CBS show amounted to an excessive campaign contribution in violation of New York State Election Law.
Supreme Court Justice Paul Wooten disagreed. After a hearing, Wooten denied George’s request for an injunction.
The show has garnered criticism since its announcement. Brooklyn D.A. candidate Ken Thompson called Hynes’ decision to participate in the show “reckless,” and said that Hynes’ “self promotion … could easily lead to more failed prosecutions and overturned cases.”
Hynes’ reelection campaign staff dismissed the charges against the show. “This series focuses on the hard work and dedication of the people in the office,” George Arzt, spokesman for the Hynes campaign, told the Brooklyn Daily Eagle.
The written decision denying the injunction has not yet been delivered.