By Francesca Norsen Tate
Brooklyn Daily Eagle
Baptist Temple, at Schermerhorn Street and Third Avenue in Boerum Hill was organized on Aug. 19, 1823 as the First Baptist Church. The present sanctuary (pictured), built in 1918, has been host to many famous preachers, and contains windows made by Colonial Mirror and Glass of Brooklyn from sketches by Corwyn Knapp Linson. Edward Morris Bowman, a founder of the American Guild of Organists, established the largest volunteer choir in turn-of-the century America, of which Alexandre Guilmant was an honorary member.
Sadly, the Temple was damaged by a fire in 2010, but organ curator and church historian Keith Bigger has been helping with the repair and restoration effort. The Baptist Temple is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.