By Eric Tucker, Jesse J. Holland, Brett Zongker & Lolita C. Baldor
Associated Press & Brooklyn Daily Eagle
WASHINGTON— Federal law enforcement officials say the man accused in a shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard that left at least 12 people dead has been identified as Aaron Alexis. The Washington Post and other news outlets report that Alexis was a Brooklyn native.
The two officials spoke Monday to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.
The Navy said in a release Monday that Alexis, of Texas, left the Navy on Jan. 31, 2011, as a petty officer 3rd class. It's not immediately clear why he left.
Alexis had been working for the fleet logistics support squadron No. 46, in Fort Worth, Texas. The Navy says his home of record was New York City.
That official says Alexis is believed to have gotten into the Navy Yard by using someone else's identification card. It is not yet clear if that individual was an accomplice or if that person's ID card was stolen.
"Alexis grew up in Brooklyn with his mother, Sarah, and father, Anthony Alexis, according to his aunt Helen Weeks," the Post reported.
--More as it develops on BrooklynEagle.com