Brooklyn Daily Eagle
Just last week large swaths of Prospect Park’s woodlands and most of its drives remained off limits to the public due to damage from Superstorm Sandy. Almost 500 trees were downed in the storm, or so badly damaged that they had to be removed.
Today almost the entire park – with the exception of the drives and Lincoln Playground – is reopen and park-goers can again wander through the scenic Midwood and rugged Ravine sections.
“Clean-up continues at a brisk pace,” Paul Nelson, spokesperson for the Prospect Park Alliance said in an email to the Brooklyn Eagle on Tuesday.
Only “Lincoln Playground is closed and it will be for some time. It was severely damaged by a very large tree that fell on the equipment,” he said.
The Audubon Center has reopened as well, Nelson said. The Alliance will be updating its online map to reflect the rapid cleanup progress.
The drives are serving as a staging area for FEMA vehicles, according to the Alliance website.
Prospect Park isn’t out of the woods yet, however. The damage from Sandy far exceeds that of any storm in the 25-year history of the Alliance. To donate, volunteer or read more, visit www.prospectpark.org
Brooklyn Daily Eagle …