Both the Downtown Brooklyn Partnership and Community Board 2 have sent the Eagle the following tips for business or building owners who have experienced damage as a result of the storm — as compiled by the NYC Department of Small Business Services:
• Contact your insurance agent immediately if you have insurance coverage.
• Photograph any damage to your business and save receipts for replacement items or repair work.
• Look for safety hazards such as live wires, leaking gas or flammable liquids, poisonous gases and damage to foundations or underground piping and notify the appropriate utility companies or emergency responders of any such safety hazards.
• Dry all areas and items quickly and thoroughly to prevent mold growth; food establishments especially should examine all surfaces, including sheet rock, for evidence of mold.
• Begin salvage as soon as possible to prevent further damage; cover broken windows and torn roof coverings immediately to protect merchandise / business from further damage.
• Separate damaged goods from undamaged goods, but beware of accumulating too much combustible debris inside of a building. Call in key business personnel and notify contractors to start repairs - after ensuring that safety systems are fully implemented first.