BROOKLYN (AP) — A Brooklyn man's 10-year prison sentence for a 2008 shooting has been suspended after another man admitted to the crime.
Lawrence Williams walked out of Brooklyn Supreme Court on Monday after prosecutors acknowledged he was "probably innocent" in the nonfatal shooting and robbery of Alberto Ortiz.
He had been behind bars for two years, according to the New York Post.
Prosecutor John O'Mara said, "We are consenting to his release," as quoted by the Post.
Court papers said a Rikers Island inmate confessed to the shooting.
Williams had been convicted on robbery and assault.