Calls begin for him to drop out of race
By Raanan Geberer
Brooklyn Daily Eagle
A statement by former Brooklyn-Queens Congressman Anthony Weiner on Tuesday confirmed some of the allegations on an Arizona-based gossip wesbite that he had a cyber-relationships after his original "sexting" scandal two years ago.
A woman who contacted the site The Dirty alleged that she had highly sexually-charged cyber-relationship with Weiner.
The woman said that Weiner used the pseudonym of “Carlos Danger” to protect himself, and that the two of them sent sexually explicit pictures of each other and had sexual conversations on the phone. He also offered to buy her a condo in Chicago as a love nest, said “Anonymous,” who said she was 22 years old.
Without going into specifics, Weiner issued a statement that read:
“I said that other texts and photos were likely to come out, and today they have. As I have said in the past, these things that I did were wrong and hurtful to my wife and caused us to go through challenges in our marriage that extended past my resignation from Congress. While some things that have been posted today are true and some are not, there is no question that what I did was wrong. This behavior is behind me. I've apologized to Huma and am grateful that she has worked through these issues with me and for her forgiveness. I want to again say that I am very sorry to anyone who was on the receiving end of these messages and the disruption that this has caused. As my wife and I have said, we are focused on moving forward.”
The Dirty reproduced what it claimed to be online exchanges between “Anonymous” and Carlos Danger (or “Dangr33”), most of which cannot be quoted. The images, taken from the Formspring social networking site, are blurred.
By Tuesday afternoon, the story was picked up by New York magazine. And before the end of the day, calls had already begun for him to quit the mayoral race.
Updated to correct when Weiner issued his statement, then updated again when statements for him to resign began to come in.